The GRAMMY-Nominated Long Night Moon packaging features Glow In The Dark ink, with hidden images and messages, secret codes and all kinds of other goodies. Plus, comes with it’s own coordinating LED UV light! It’s difficult to do the design justice with a flattened image, but included below is our best shot at it. Click on the images for larger view.
The 12-panel poster fold-out insert features a vintage-style lunar map with invisible glow-in-the-dark art hidden throughout. Each of the moons encircling the Lunar Map represent a date of relevance to Reckless Kelly and Long Night Moon, with the specific moon that graced the night sky on that very date, the Shoshone Indian name for that moon phase, and the GPS location of the event. Hidden within the design is a code to unlock the chords to all the tracks on the record, a story created from mixmatched lyrics from the record, an explanation of what the Long Night Moon is, a Homeric Hymn, constellations and a link to visit for unlocking ALL the secrets online.
Little known facts:
1. The stars included in the artwork are not randomly placed – but rather, in their true astronomical alignment to one another. If you know your constellations, you may likely find them, throughout.
2. The moon phases on the lunar map that line the outer rim represent the actual moon phase that lit the sky on that specific date and place.
3. The numbers within the ‘swirls’ of the lunar map also represent a secret code.
4. The moon phases included on the back cover represent the moon phase from the date that each track was written. The dates for these are included on the Lunar Map.
5. Along the bottom of the inner spread, you can find the Austin city lights on the left with headlights departing toward the mountains on the far right. This, as well as the entirety of the packaging design is a nod to the traveling theme of the record, and the lyrics of “Long Night Moon”: Sleepless nights where the stars above are drowned out by the city lights / and I wonder why I keep torturing my soul beneath this urban sky / but in my mind I know I’ll be home soon / surrounded by the winter beneath the Long Night Moon.
6. The Long Night Moon for 2013 is December 16th.
7. If you have the physical copy of the packaging, you can visit RecklessKelly.com/CrackTheCode to . . . crack the code.
If you don’t have Long Night Moon, yet, head over to RecklessKelly.com to snag your copy, NOW!!!